CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Week 38 / The final week

The last picture of Lucas on the inside


October 3, 2012

I think the only way to properly express how I feel today is OMG! For the past week I've been saying I'm ready for Lucas to come and sitting around trying to figure out if I'm having any signs of labor. After last week's appointment where I was 80% effaced and 1cm dilated, I was sure he would continue to make progress and decide to come meet his parents a week or so early. After a few days of being unsure if I was ready, Steve and I got the last minute items checked off of our to-do list - installed car seat, packed a bag and went tailgating. (We only lasted for about an hour, it was raining so we decided to watch the game at home. Although we lost, this was probably the most exciting USM game of the season.  I'm hoping Luke will be a good luck charm for USM and the Saints since they both have no wins so far. (I can tell there is a boy inside me because look how much I care about football)). 
My mind has been cluttered with thoughts of how will Lucas look?  Will he have light hair and dark eyes like me, dark hair and light eyes like Steve or some combo? Is he going to be an easy baby who sleeps easily or is he going to challenge me? How big is he going to be (Dr. Kot says between 6.5 and 7lbs)? I'm so excited to get to know this baby who's been kicking my ribs for the last several weeks. I'm also ready to not be pregnant just to have a little more say so in what is happening with my body, not go to the bathroom every 5 minutes, not take 5 minutes just to get off of the couch and have all of this swelling go down.

Then I had my weekly check up. I was not dilated or effaced any more which was disappointing but it looks like he's coming anyways.  My blood pressure was a little high - 141/91 so Dr. Kot ordered a non-stress test.  This consisted of sitting in a recliner for about 20 minutes with a fetal monitor and periodically checking my bp.  When I started this I thought, I'm going to be so bored sitting here for 20 whole minutes. It passed so quickly because I couldn't take my eyes off of that monitor, I was watched every change in his heart beat for 20minutes terrified something may be wrong.  This probably did not help the blood pressure situation. The good news was everything looked great with Lucas but during this time my periodic bp checks didn't go down. Dr. Kot then ordered some blood work for me. If it came back with a problem she wanted to induce me that day, if not I could come in tomorrow night (now tonight).  This was a huge bomb that was just dropped. I thought I was ready but I wanted Luke to be ready too.
I called Steve who also seemed to be in a state of shock.  The poor guy couldn't form complete sentences.  The reality had just hit us of how soon we were going to be parents. I was no longer sure if I was ready and never did I think I would have to be induced. I called our moms and some close friends to share the news and headed to work to get all my loose ends tied up. This was officially my last day at work for a while and when I return my life will be completely different. Fortunately, Dr. Kot called and my blood work was ok so I have an extra day to get my mind wrapped around everything.
Last night Steve spent the last night in our house as a family of 2 (5 if you count our furry children and we usually do). We played with Dash who is not excited about the change, Steve got his stuff packed (including The Avengers which I bought for him during my mindless shopping yesterday), and unsuccessfully tried to sleep. Today Steve went to work and I'm sitting at home (doing as little activity as possible by order of the doc.) and trying not to worry about the things I've read about how induced labor can last much longer and be harder. My emotions are on a roller coaster but ultimately I'm excited to meet our son, no matter how he has to get here.


Dash's reaction to telling him this is his last night with us without Luke

He decided to go ahead and get some quality play time in by bringing his rope

Xanny could care less as long as Luke will love her

Addie just wants us to know that she may nibble on him eventually
My next post will include pictures and stories of Lucas Lee Ryder.  I guess it's time to start thinking of more creative titles than the week of pregnancy I'm in. I'll try not to go with Luke's age.

0 comments:

Post a Comment